Schäfer-Fröhlich

Schäfer-Fröhlich

The Schäfer-Fröhlich family has cultivated wine in Nahe for a couple of hundred years, with the history books going all the way back to 1780. Winery was established in the 1970s in connection with the 2-hectare paddocks and the last two generations have really elevated the farm to its current success. Together with Tim Fröhlich and his wife Nicole, who took over the driving responsibility of the farm in the 1990s, the team is currently run by Nicole's sister Meike and her husband Mats Genheimer. Tim made his first wine in 1995 when he was only 21 years old. Thanks to the work done together with his parents Karin and Hans, who passed away exhausted by illness in the fall of 2021, the farm joined the VDP organization consisting of the country's leading producers in 2001. All the farm's wines are certified according to the local Fair'n Green certificate.

Schäfer-Fröhlich, one of Nahe's top producers Covering 21 hectares, the vineyards are located mainly on volcanic and slate soil. The estate's most famous wine comes from the Felseneck Grosse Lage monopoly vineyard in the village of Bockenau, although there are also top vineyards From the villages of Schloßböckelheim and Monzingen. In total, the farm has six Grosse Lage nurseries, all of which are located on rocky steep slopes, some rising at an angle of up to 70°. 85% of the grapes in the orchards are Riesling and the remaining 15% are Burgundian varieties.

Known as a perfectionist and terroir fanatic, Tim's confidence in working carefully in the barns and cellars, as well as the constant tasting, researching and analysis of wines from other regions and countries is reflected in the farm's own wines as purity and lightness. At the heart of the farm's wine philosophy is the use of healthy grapes. Rieslings all ferment spontaneously without added yeast strains. Most of the wines are made in steel tanks, but the cellar also has some neutral oak barrels and a few barrique barrels. The farm's wine style is quite reductive when young, which means that the wines can withstand several years of maturation. Tim wants his wines to invite the drinker to pour himself another glass, so he tries to make the wines as fine and elegant as possible. The farm's wines are highly valued all over the world and in 2019 James Suckling chose one of the farm's wines as the best white wine in the world!

The farm's total annual production is around 120,000 bottles.

https://www.weingut-schaefer-froehlich.de/

Close (esc)

Grand Crew

We at Viinitie believe that Finland is ready for a better wine culture. People are thirsty for quality, responsibility and stories in more and more glasses. That's why we want to be even more torchbearers of this cultural change and make better wines available to everyone.

Hello, welcome to the world of wines!

The content of our online store is for adults only.

Restaurant customers, Remember to log in to the online store!

Search

Added to cart